From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-18 23:01:44

Looks great...

One thought about the following:

"You can't call some thread methods for foreign threads of execution,
since the necessary state information may not exist. In particular, you
can not call join() or detach() on foreign threads."

How about instead of just documenting this restriction, we make it
impossible for the user to call join() and detach() on a foreign thread by
not providing those functions in the first pace; i.e., use a different
thread class that doesn't have join() and detach().

Put another way, is there a strong reason to have only a single thread
class?

Cheers,
Jeremy

P.S. This is just part of my mission in general to convert possible
run-time errors into much nicer compile-time errors.

 Jeremy Siek http://www.osl.iu.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-3608