From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-01 09:03:56

----- Original Message -----
From: "sfranke2000" <franke_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 8:48 AM
Subject: [boost] Re: How to build Boost.Python examples with M$VC?

> --- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
> > If you need any help getting that to work, just let me know.
>
> David,
> thanks for your answer. It seems that I definitely need you help
> here again.
> When I call (the latest prebuilt) boost-build.exe within the
> directory
>
> \boost\libs\python\build
>
> I get the following output:
>
> Compiler is Microsoft Visual C++
> Jamfile: line 67: syntax error at keyword (
> Jamfile: line 67: syntax error at keyword )
> ...found 7 targets...
>
> Line 67ff of the jamfile looks like
>
> local rule bpl-test ( test-name : sources + )
> {
> boost-python-test $(test-name) : $(sources) <lib>libboost_python ;
> }

You must be using some older version of Jam. It's complaining about the
argument list, which is a Boost.Jam syntax extension that's been in place
for many months.

> My sources are from a CVS checkout a few days ago.
>
> BTW I unable to build any part of boost with jam/boost-build.
> When I call it in Boost's root dir the output is
>
> Compiler is Microsoft Visual C++
> warning: unknown rule project-root
> warning: unknown rule subinclude
> warning: unknown rule subinclude
> warning: unknown rule subinclude
> warning: unknown rule subinclude
> ...found 7 targets...
>
> This is still the same than a few months ago, when I had a first
> glance at Boost (1.24.0 then).

I'm not sure what you're saying. Certainly Boost.Build and Boost.Jam have
both been updated since 1.24.0.

> So it seems that I'm doing something
> fundamentally wrong eh?

Well, you'll need to set BOOST_ROOT in your environment or on your Jam
command-line for Jam to find the subinclude rule.