From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-05 20:26:11

At 03:29 PM 2/5/2002, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>On a larger scale, I believe this is not the right way to go, so I would
>actually oppose fixed_*. Proliferating all of STL's containers in each
>design direction (in this case, fixed capacity) is simply a losing
>approach.

How many "design directions" are there for vectors? (In the terminology I
think in the questions becomes something like "How many features are there
in the feature model?")

There is Capacity, with Dynamic-at-runtime and Fixed-at-compile-time being
the particulars under discussion. I've also seen
Fixed-at-construction-time used historically, but am not sure it brings
significant enough advantages to be worthwhile if the other two are
available.

What else?

--Beman