From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-06 09:05:36

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 01:57, you wrote:
> At 04:29 PM 2/5/2002, vesa_karvonen wrote:
> >> * Increased errors by experienced programmers. Experienced
> >> programmers recover immediately, but still complain of what is seen
> >> as an unnecessary burden. The STL headers have been cited as
> >> specific examples of overly fine-grained headers.
> >
> >...splitting existing headers does indeed cause some grief. That is
> >why headers should be atomic in the first place. Then there will be
> >no grief caused by change as is happening now with Boost.
> >
> >I'd like to see references to articles/whatever that complain about
> >STL headers being overly fine-grained. Not that I would doubt such
> >would exist, because I can certainly imagine some people complaining
> >about the subject.
>
> The C++ committee's LWG has been discussing headers recently. I think that
> Bjarne was the most recent person to complain about the stl headers. There
> is some discussion about providing a single <stl> to deal with that. There
> is also discussion of a <std> header which includes all the C and C++
> standard headers.

I am quite astonished cause this is the exact opposite of what I am
experiencing in day to day work. I never heard anybody complaining about to
fine grained headers in stl, but there are frequent complaints about missing
forward decl's and the not so fine grained headers. Most people I talk to try
to have fine grained headers in their projects. I can't think of a reasonable

If it comes to teaching and ease of use the fine grained approach provides
real benefits. To me it's no problem remembering to include a map if I use a
map(a one on one mapping really helps), problems arise if I have to remember
pair is in <utility> or auto_ptr is in <memory>.

That's just my personal opinion. I'd like to cast my vote for fine grained
headers.

Thomas

--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Witt
Institut fuer Verkehrswesen, Eisenbahnbau und -betrieb, Universitaet Hannover