From: Brey, Edward D (EdwardDBrey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-06 10:37:10

> From: vesa_karvonen [mailto:vesa_karvonen_at_[hidden]]
>
> This is one of the things that I have been trying to tell people
> about. It really doesn't matter whether it takes 1 or 10 seconds to
> compile. The problem is when compiling time gets to the minute range.
> When that happens your productivity drops sharply. You start spending
> time thinking about how to avoid compiling.

Ten seconds times fifty compilations brings you to far more than a minute.
Death by a thousand paper cuts is still death. I agree that having to think
about avoiding recompilation is bad, but it generally isn't a problem, since
only "canned" headers go in the pch.

> I will never want to work in a project where I'm told to avoid
> modifying a particular header or a group of headers. If I'm presented
> with such a project, I will either leave or get permission to
> restructure the project.

Keep in mind that the files in question here are headers for the C++
standard library and for boost libraries. Do you really expect or desire to
be changing them?