From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-07 17:09:45

----- Original Message -----
From: "sfranke2000" <franke_at_[hidden]>

> > still holds.
>
> I've just switched to using the libboost_python.lib/dll pair and
> the my release build works fine. However, what makes me wonder is
>
> a) I'm linking the libboost_python.lib/dll from
> boost\libs\python\build\bin\libboost_python\msvc\debug\runtime-link-
> dynamic
> to my release build (note that "debug" in the path)

Are you still trying to use the Python debug build (the one that requires
foo_d.pyd modules as opposed to foo.pyd)? If so you want the debug-python
build rather than the plain "debug" build, available
with -sBUILD=debug-python.

> b) If I link the same pair of files to my debug build, the linker
> complains about a couple of missing std::string functions (see below,
> ScriptingEngine.obj is the file where I use Boost.Python and wrap
> my classes).

Those functions are in your C++ standard library. The problem you're seeing
is /entirely/ independent of Boost.Python and I'm no more qualified to
address it than anyone else who knows about linking programs and DLLs on
your platform (probably less).

> What does that mean? Do I have to build a 'real' debug version of
> libboost_python and how do I do this? And (in case I get this done
> and still feel adventurous afterwards) how do I pass the
> BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON switch (or other defines) to the build process?

BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON is defined automatically as part of the debug-python
build variant, which I described how to apply above .

-Dave