From: Samuel Krempp (krempp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-15 05:03:26

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 18:51, David Abrahams wrote:
> Samuel,
>
> What are your plans for final submission of your format library which was
> accepted last month? Are you waiting to see how the ongoing discussions turn
> out?

At first, I was indeed following the discussion in order to pick a
choice. Then I've picked one of the sensible possible choices for syntax
(printf-compatible by default, because the proposed new syntaxes don't
bring enough improvements to justify imposing them to everybody), and
for the argument-feeding mechanism ( still operator% )

Since this should be a final 'submission', I'd like to write all the
improvements I have in mind (a few small code rewrites to make it
clearer, and replacing the 'manip' system with a 'group' function like
what Karl Nelson is using. Limiting the number of manipulators is not a
problem, contrary to the number of arguments, so I think he's right to
use a function-call taking all manipulators, and the argument, at once)

I don't want to rush the final submission, it was somehow my habit in
the reviewing stage, and I realised it's only good at confusing
reviewers and wasting their time.
The planned changes would not take much time, but putting the
documentation (and examples) in a coherent state is yet more time
consuming, further more because the rationale is very important if we
want to reach a consensus on the 2 most debated items (operator and
syntax); and for the moment I need all the time I have to work on my
thesis.
I Should have time to finish my TODO-list after thursday the 19th, so I
can promise to send the final submission by wednesday night.

Also, I'm still waiting for the sys-admin in my lab to update the MSVC
here with Service Pack5, in order to check for MSVC comaptbility - I
used the diffs submitted by Gennadiy in his MSVC-version of format2, but
since then I made a few changes that certainly have broken MSVC
comaptibility)

--
Samuel