From: Braden McDaniel (braden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-23 21:03:06

On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 13:33, David B. Held wrote:
> [...]

Apparently you do not understand that the size of a project's user base
is a reflection of its general utility.

> > > If you want to use Boost in one of your projects then I think that it is
> up
> > > to you to provide integration for your users. It is not as if Boost
> makes
> > > any guarantees about binary or source compatibility (although as a
> > > community I would hope that we minimize the amount we break things
> > > while evolve them) so any project you make will have to bound to a
> > > particular Boost version anyways.
> >
> > This is par for the course for open source projects. It may be novel
> > from your perspective; it is not from mine.
>
> To this extent, I see Boost as "more Open-Source than Open-Source".
> To put constraints on an Open-Source developer as to how many platforms
> should be supported, and how other things like installation should be
> handled really limits developers. Some developers don't have every
> target platform to test on and write workarounds for. Some just don't
> have the time to create a one-button-push install procedure. If Boost
> were a singular effort like Apache or MySQL, it would make a lot more
> sense to provide things like sane install targets. But Boost is much looser
> than traditional monolithic OSS projects. In this regard, many OSS
> projects are more like closed-source software than Boost is. Boost
> provides raw libraries with raw power, no promises or guarantees. It
> is offered freely, by people who are very capable at producing some of
> the best code possible. To expect each library author to maintain his/her
> library like it's a big team OSS project seems quite unfair to me. It also
> seems selfish to expect that pro-autoconf constraints are more important
> than pro-Jam constraints. As far as I can tell, this thread sounds like
> a Porsche dealership giving away free cars, and people complaining
> that the cars aren't driven to their doorstep. It doesn't seem unreasonable
> at all to me to meet them halfway.

What's halfway? What is it you're arguing, exactly? Are you suggesting
that Boost should *not* accept an autotools build?

> > You say that like I was reluctant. That is a misrepresentation. When
> > this thread started, it was not clear that an autotools build would be
> > accepted into Boost even if it was offered. In fact, I think one could
> > reasonably conclude that it would be rejected based on threads prior to
> > this one. Fortunately, it now looks like an autotools build would be
> > accepted. That's all I've ever wanted.
>
> >From what I observe, the "Boost process" is to *ask* whether a library
> or tools submission would be useful or welcome first, instead of telling
> people that they want and need it, and if they don't, they are closed-minded
> pig-headed greedy proprietary jerks with their heads in the sand.

Review my postings to this thread. From my perspective, this has never
been about a particular tool. It is about the need for an install
target. I have indicated that I would be just as happy with "jam
install" as "make install". But the Jam folks tell us that "jam install"
isn't likely to happen in the foreseeable future--which suggests to me
that it would be a lot of work even for the folks who are Jam experts.

"make install", OTOH, is relatively easy to set up ... with the
autotools.

To extend your analogy, providing software without a deployment strategy
is like giving someone a free car and telling them they have to make
their own wheels from scratch. If you're a closed source project, you
can just strip the car for parts and use them in the separate car you're
building. If you're an open source project, you wanted to use that free
car to tow the camper you're building, and the absence of wheels is a
real problem.

> > It may be self-satisfying to characterize the autotools crowd as a bunch
> > of complainers. But in doing so you ignore the "Let them eat Jam" policy
> > that led to this thread.
>
> And to be honest, I think it's entirely the prerogative of those offering
> free
> bread to offer a Jam-only version. If you want your bread toasted or
> pre-made into a sandwich, perhaps you should ask whether you are
> grateful for the bread, or feel you are just entitled to it.
>
> > That's changed, and so on this much we agree: Let's move on. I'm
> > looking forward to seeing Timothy Shead's submission.
>
> As am I.

I am confused: are you arguing that Boost should not accept an autotools
submission or not? If not, *what is your point*?

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden_at_[hidden]>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden_at_[hidden]>