From: Ross Smith (r-smith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-25 00:17:59

Daryle Walker wrote:

> I've seen a lot of messages about using autoconf or jam for installing
> Boost. I wonder if these people are making the issue more complicated than
> it is. Remember that some of us (like pre-X Mac users) use Boost without
> Jam, we just resolve the build issues manually. It's not that hard, just:
>
> 1. Expand the Boost archive somewhere
> 2. Have your makefile or project file point to the BOOST_ROOT/boost
> directory as part of its search for (system) header files.
> 3. For mandatory source files, add those individually to your project file
> or makefile.

<sigh> And despite any number of us explaining in great detail, you've
succeeded in completely missing the point.

The problem is not installation by developers. That's awkward but
workable now. The problem is installation by END USERS who wouldn't know
an include path from a hole in the ground. Expecting users of our
software to go through anything as complicated as the above is _way_
beyond the bounds of reason.

--
Ross Smith ...................................... Auckland, New Zealand
r-smith_at_[hidden] ......................... http://storm.net.nz/~ross/