From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-25 11:02:55

--- In boost_at_y..., Daryle Walker <darylew_at_m...> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of messages about using autoconf or jam for
installing
> Boost. I wonder if these people are making the issue more
complicated than
> it is. Remember that some of us (like pre-X Mac users) use Boost
without
> Jam, we just resolve the build issues manually. It's not that
hard, just:

> 1. Expand the Boost archive somewhere
> 2. Have your makefile or project file point to the BOOST_ROOT/boost
> directory as part of its search for (system) header files.
> 3. For mandatory source files, add those individually to your
project file
> or makefile.
> 4. There is no step 4....
>
> I don't think there are any mandatory source files that must be put
in a
> separate (static or dynamic) library first. I'm not entirely sure
of this,
> as the Boost.Threads people always talk about a DLL.

On Windows platforms Boost.Threads *requires* (I wish it didn't)
special care when building. Specifically, the threadmon stuff must
be in a DLL. So your simple 4 step process above won't work there.
I also expect that this sort of thing will continue to get more and
more complicated as we add more and more libraries that depend on OS
specific things.

> The process could be improved. I think step [3] is the biggest
pain, as you
> need to figure out which mandatory source files are needed (if any)
and
> where they are. Those files are currently scattered. I think that
a single
> "boost_src" directory for mandatory source files, paralleling
the "boost"
> directory for headers, could be better for installation purposes.
It gives
> users only one extra directory to worry about. (We've talked about
this
> idea before.)

Unfortunately, this isn't going to work (see the above about
Boost.Threads).

Bill Kempf