From: Karl Nelson (kenelson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-26 12:57:55

Daunting is barely the word to describe it. The best way to
learn the thing is to take a really simple project which is already
using automake and expand it to fit yours. The documentation is
more of a reference guide for you to look up macros. It does
nothing to help the staring user. (Unless confusing is helping.)

Just to demonstrate (since I have done 3 of these in the last month)
here is a sample of an automake project done of my boost submission.

   http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~kenelson/format_package-0.0.1.tar.gz

It took all of 20 minutes to get working. It works on cygwin and
unix derivatives.

Hope it helps.

--Karl