From: Ken Hagan (k.hagan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-08 05:16:45

"Rainer Deyke" <root_at_[hidden]> wrote...

> At least under Windows 9x, this is not true. The files on the
> desktop also exist in "c:\WINDOWS\Desktop", but this directory
> does not contain "My Computer" or "Network Neighborhood", and
> is therefore not the true desktop.

On NT, 2000 or XP, what appears on the screen is further augmented
by the contents of the "All Users\Desktop" folder. This also happens
on 9x, but only if you have chosen separate profiles for each user.

However, file systems with hard links also exhibit the phenomenon
of directories containing themselves (indirectly) so I don't think
Windows is being too perverse here. Programmers just need to be
aware of the possibility.