From: rwgk (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-08 15:10:25

--- In boost_at_y..., Howard Hinnant <hinnant_at_t...> wrote:
> than it creates? It may be simpler to just create your own
container
> that tolerates indeterminant scalars.

That is what I am beginning to think...
The nature of language-lawyerism that I am experiencing
here is quite overwhelming for someone who is trying to
get a job done.
Take the example of natural language: It is full of
exceptions to the rule and shortcuts because apparently
that is what works best. Rules are necessary, but it is
important to make compromises, to find a balance that
fosters /productive/ creativity (as opposed to introverted
creativity (no examples mentioned here)). IMO C++ is overdoing
the job of "protecting" the user. The weight given to
the principle of encapsulation relative to other things
such as efficiency and easy of use is too high.
The other big deficiency from my viewpoint is the overall
klunky support for compile-time introspection. I view
typeof() as an important step in the right direction.
More of that, please! Please give me more powerful tools
to work with, and stop being like an overly protective
mother. A bruise here and there is part of growing up
and much preferred to being trapped like a prisoner.
Sorry for venting, but it had to be done.
Ralf