From: dmoore99atwork (dmoore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-10 17:12:08

(Continued from original post)

> Comments and feedback of any nature are welcome, but I am
especially interested in hearing other's views on:

4. The design claims:

template<typename Mutex>
class rw_mutex
{
   //...
private:
   Mutex m;
};

But the prototype implementation is:
class rw_mutex
{
   //...
private:
   boost::mutex m;
};

I like the idea of using Mutex as a template argument, because it
lets us push the recursive vs. checked vs. unspecified mutex locking
behavior out of the design and implementation of rw_mutex, and I
don't have to hand-code recursive_rw_mutex....

BUT, if I do that, then my entire implementation of rw_mutex has to
be in the header file for rw_mutex.hpp, since many compilers/linkers
don't support seperate compilation of template class
implementations...

Any opinions on the tradeoffs? Should we just give in and write
recursive_rw_mutex, (and recursive_try_rw_mutex, and
recursive_timed_rw_mutex) ?

Thanks,
Dave