From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-10 22:27:17

----- Original Message -----
From: "danl_miller" <danl_miller_at_[hidden]>

> What is the rationale for this change? (Did we exceed some
> budget/threshold regarding Yahoo groups?)

There are about a thousand ways that Yahoogroups was beginning to annoy
people, not least the moderators. I'll list just a few here:

* Obnoxious advertisements interrupt web browsing of archives
* Archive searches proceed a segment-at-a-time, which makes looking at the
past painful
* Bugs in the system prevent the bodies of emails with attachments from
showing up, except on the web
* Recently we've been having long lags between submission and distribution
of new posts
* No way to integrate with usenet newsgroups
* Not enough control of our own destiny
* ...

-Dave