From: simonwlb (conic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-13 00:48:48

--- In boost_at_y..., Douglas Gregor <gregod_at_c...> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 March 2002 10:07 pm, you wrote:
> > On 2002-03-13 at 01:50 AM, conic_at_b... (simonwlb) wrote:
> > >The other thing I did to make Jam build was to comment out a
line in
> > >the Jam Makefile:
> > >
> > ># chmod a+w jambase.c
> > >
> > >Before I commented out the line above, the Jam Make process
caused
> > >all sorts of errors to come up, like not being able to
find "yyacc".

> > >Maybe my build of Jam is no good either?
> >
> > No, it's probably fine. But one of the things that building Jam
does is try
> > and regenerate that file. Which leads me to think that somehow
the Win FS
> > mount is not letting you do things like create directories, and
possibly
> > changing the permissions on files -- and changing permissions is
something
> > Jam does for most of the files it builds.
>
> I presume that the Windows file system is indeed a FAT file system
(because
> NTFS is very poorly supported under Linux), which has no concept of
> Unix-style permissions. That probably makes Jam very, very unhappy.
>
> I've found that FAT partitions under Linux are good only for
communication
> with Windows on the same computer, and are not in any way useful to
> development. Between the lack of symlinks and the lack of
permissions, Unix
> tools just don't play nice.
>
> Doug

Yes, it was a FAT partition. Now I have copied boost to a Linux-
format partition. This made Jam build perfectly with no
modifications to the Makefile required.

Unfortunately, building boost still reports the same problems
with "MkDir1". I'll experiment with chmod a bit more and see how
things go...

Simon Bailey