From: Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-18 16:49:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "rameysb" <ramey_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 12:46 PM
Subject: [boost] Serialization Draft Submission # 2

> Fellow programmers
>
> I have just uploaded draft # 2 of my proposal for a boost library to
> address saving and restoring of C++ objects. Serialization.zip

<snip>

> Aside from the issues noted above, the library has no KNOWN bugs.
> I would ask those who have shown an interest in this library to
> attempt to install it on their own platforms and try to use in one
of
> there own applications. Feedback from these efforts would be
> invaluable to me.

I looked through it but haven't tried to compile or test it. Some
comments:

  - Strings are not serialized reliably in text archives unless
(ironically) the underlying stream is opened in binary mode. In
particular, the characters '\n' and '\r' may not be read back
correctly.

  - Strings that start with a numeric character are not handled
correctly in text archives.

  - The Boost smart pointers should be supported directly. On the
other hand, supporting raw pointers is highly dangerous (although
probably unavoidable). Maybe a special syntax should be used for the
serialization of raw pointers.

  - Placing names in the global namespace is never safe. Consider:

#include "boost/serialization.hpp"
bool serialization; // Oops: name collision.

  - The 'typedef's in namespace 'boost' do not belong there, and are
in part too restrictive anyway. Only 255 versions?

  - 'using' directives are not appropriate for header files.

  - Some lines are over 80 characters long (contrary to Boost
guidelines).

--
Rainer Deyke | root_at_[hidden] | http://rainerdeyke.com