From: Brey, Edward D (EdwardDBrey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-19 10:12:29

All this talk of efficiency of byte-orientated file copying mechanisms in
platform-specific realms (e.g. memory mapped I/O) seems out of place to me.
Why would one not map onto the high level operating system calls to copy a
file, e.g. CopyFile in Win32? Besides being presumably the most efficient,
it is often the only correct choice. The Win32 documentation spells out
copying a file by creating a new file and manually moving over the contents
as bad practice, because doing so can defeat higher-level operating system
functionality such as encryption.

For the fallback, portable implementation, which is untweaked for any given
platform, of course, the stream buffer technique is very nice. But for
platform-tailored code, it generally makes sense to tie into the OS at the
highest level possible.