From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-21 14:07:43

I may have a chance to come back and look at things in more detail
before the review is over, but provisionally, I am going to abstain from
voting on whether to accept LL in its current form. On one hand, it
seems to me that there are too many other interesting technologies in
this domain whose influence should come to bear on any library we accept
into boost. In particular, I think some of the Spirit work is beautiful
and, if incorporated into Lambda, would significantly improve
ease-of-use, which after all is the whole point. The recent developments
with Spirit and FACT! would probably never have occurred without the
groundwork laid by the LL.

On the other hand, I don't want to stand in the way of progress. Having
/something/ that fills this purpose in boost would almost always be
better than having nothing. I don't fault Jaako and Gary in the least,
and I hope that this reaction after so many years of work on such a
(dare I say "seminal") library is not discouraging. Ideally, it would
spark about a month of review of the other work and revision of LL so
that when it is brought back up for review we know that all of the best
ideas have been looked at carefully and used where possible. However,
this sort of thing is not always practical, especially with a library as
mature as the LL is.

-Dave