From: Moore, Dave (dmoore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-21 15:03:34

I may be missing something, but...

It seems that your object pools provide lots of flexibility in the ways that
pools of "things" can grow and flexibility in the way that members of the
pool are selected when someone want to "get" a member of the pool.

In the thread pool concept I'm trying to model, idle threads are selected
from the pool so that they can be used to provide an execution context for a
job which is passed to function "add". However, they are "selected" by the
thread platform's scheduling algorithm by virtual of wait()ing on a
condition variable.

As for the size, given a min and max size, the size of the pool will shrink
towards the min when threads are idle for longer than the timeout value, and
will grow towards the max whenever a new job arrives and no idle threads are
available.

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something. Can you provide a specific
example in terms of one of your pool_management_alg's where you would do
something different with a pool of threads?

Thanks for the feedback!
Dave