From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-21 16:37:43

At 03:30 AM 3/21/2002, Vladimir Prus wrote:

>I thought, however, that there should be some another level, which
manages
>translation between the objects into calls to low-level functions that
>store ints and chars. Now I see a problem: in order to make sense of XML,
>it should use reasonable names, and look like
><green_crocodile>
> <age>7</age>
> <weight>200</weight>
></green_crocodile>
>However, there's no was to get names "green_crocodile", "age" and
"weight"
>without user's help. So it's not possible to get reasonable XML
>automatically.

While it might not be possible to do that "automatically", Jens' design
made it trivial to supply a writer or reader that would handle
"green_crocodile", "age" and "weight" XML. That should continue to be
trivial, IMO, or a design really comes into question.

Users really do want a serialization library, but they have high
expectations.

--Beman