From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-22 10:16:37

Daniel Frey wrote:
> > What about operations on different types - Duration + Date
> = Date, etc?
>
> I tried to merge Alexsey's code with some older code of mine. A first
> version shows that you can combine them, but there are some problems
> with the granularity (I mean, to specify which of the 'friends' should
> be used. The code I have is this:

Cool, I thought in the same direction! I don't think that granularity is
really a problem, because, strictly speaking, these using declaration are
unnecessary if you make the operators in the base template 'public'; if you
try to use an operator that does not have an assignment counterpart in the
derived class, you'll get a compile error anyway. The only reason I went
with 'protected' and 'using' declarations is because you _need_ 'using' for
postfix increment and decrement (otherwise, they would be hidden by infix
versions in the derived class), and I felt that consistent use of 'using'
can be easy to remember and also has some nice documentation qualities.

Aleksey