From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-22 16:40:37

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Aleksey Gurtovoy [mailto:agurtovoy_at_[hidden]]
>
> Jason, you're a genius!

Definitely not, but thanks anyway. I noticed a post on c.l.c++.m this
morning with the same exact solution. At least I thought of it
independently :).

> > Now if only VC7.1 could compile that...
>
> I _really_ wish it could :).

Actually, it can, but only under -Za. The problem is our "extension" to
not need typename.

Considering how often I see typename in Boost, I often wonder if
"nontypename" would have been more appropriate.

At any rate, disabling this "extension" will definitely cause our
customers headaches. I've only seen a few rare cases (like this) where
we fail to compile legal code because of this.

Is anyone aware of any compelling reason why a construct like this is
critical? Keep in mind the poor maintenance programmer that is not an
expert in templates and doesn't have my email address.

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team