From: Petr Kocmid (pkocmid_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-23 20:57:54

Hi, Beman

> From: Beman Dawes
> Unless they are static and never change, it is much better to keep binary
> files out of the CVS repository. Each new version of a binary file
> essentially requires archiving the entire file. That markedly increases
> the size of the repository, which is a hardship for those to download the
> repository backup over the Internet.

I am afraid idea of not having binaries in repository at all is not
practical. I support discouraging of using binary files, but if that must
happen for some valid reason, I'd rather see them handled correctly by
library maintainers.

Instead of brute force "DRBOI" and for maintaining bandwith ecology the
usage of tools for repository mirroring such as CVSup should be considered.

http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup

Petr Kocmid

BTW, I very appreciate moving list out of yahoo. Thanks to you and all who
helped this.