From: Dylan Nicholson (dylan_nicholson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-25 00:21:18

 --- Jason Shirk <jasonsh_at_[hidden]> wrote: > > -----Original Message-----

> A switch (and the obligatory pragma) is probably our path of least
> resistance, but QA hates switches, they always mumble something about
> the combinatorial explosion of the test matrix :).

Sounds like a fairly specious argument - from a QA point of view switches are
not essentially different from any other sort of input, including pre-defined
symbols (-D), and obviously the source code itself. I would have thought it
must be accepted that compilers by their very nature have to deal with far more
possible (valid) inputs than most other software. It's pretty unimaginable
that you could even get close to testing every single path of execution - even
testing every branch would be quite a challenge. Ultimately every enhancement
comes down whether the benefit of including it outweighs the potential risk of
breaking existing (working) functionality. I don't see how QA could ever be in
a position to determine that.

Dylan

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
- 1,000s of Bargains!