From: Gary Powell (powellg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-25 10:50:08

From: "Gary Powell" <powellg_at_[hidden]>
> We are not talking about new technology here. bind() was first written by
> Jaakko in 1999. Peter D. made a clone of the original interface and
expanded
> it as he saw a new need, and got it added to boost, knowing full well that
> the Lambda version was coming. People have had the benefit for the last 6
> months of having a boost bind.

>> From Peter Dimov
FWIW.

boost::bind is not a clone of Jaakko's earlier bind library. It's a
scaled-down version of a Lambda-like expression template library that I
wrote after being influenced by Gary's ET article in C++ Report (IIRC.) The
differences are minimal but they are there. Or were there.
<<<

My Apologies Peter, I didn't see your work until after I had seen Jaakko's
paper on Bind. (Which predates the May C++ article). I thought you must have
seen that too.

It's always fascinating to me how the next advancement in any field can
occur by multiple individuals working miles apart with no knowledge of each
other.

   Yours,
   -Gary-