From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-25 19:10:10

At 02:12 PM 3/25/2002, David A. Greene wrote:

>Asger Alstrup Nielsen wrote:
>
>> It is in fact a new programming language, because it is not
>> possible to use the same keywords or syntax, and it is not possible
>> to implement things exactly like you like, because of limitations
>> in C++.
>
>As I understand it, a not-explicitly-stated goal of the Boost
>process is to identify core language issues and provide concrete
>examples of how those issues cause real problems. With that in
>mind, I don't really think it's fair to penalize a library because
>it exposes weaknesses in the language. I think that's a positive
>outcome.

I agree with Dave.

Now that the C++ committee's enhancement working group is starting to look
at future core language changes, we can (and already have) start feeding
them issues that arise in library development.

But that's a long term proposition. We shouldn't hold off accepting useful
libraries because of potential future language changes.

--Beman