From: Stewart, Robert (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-27 08:35:20

From: William Kempf [mailto:williamkempf_at_[hidden]]

> >From: "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]>
> >
> >I have to back up Robert here. I've worked on a number of large,
> >multi-team,
> >C++ only projects that use DLL's extensively. I've seen
> these both on
> >Windows
> >and Unix. It works beautifully.
>
> Playing devils advocate, it doesn't always work beautifully.
> The biggest
> problem occurs when the libraries produced must be usable by
> other compilers
> or even other languages. The name mangling done by your C++
> compiler can
> prevent the DLL from being used by other C++ compilers or by
> other languages
> that can easily call "C" functions exported from DLLs.

These are good points, but Jeff was referring to "C++ only projects."
Implicit in that, I assumed a common C++ toolset. If you must get multiple
C++ compilers to interoperate, then your only option is extern "C", though
interoperability isn't guaranteed.

Rob
Susquehanna International Group, LLP
http://www.sig.com