From: Dylan Nicholson (dylan_nicholson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-27 15:23:10

 --- Jan Langer <jan_at_[hidden]> wrote: >

> why is is_readable so easy? it is not easier than is_writable since both
> set the timestamp of the file.
> i tested:
> save time
> try to open file
> restore time
> but it does not work because i'm not always allowed to set the time.
>
> btw: the same problem occures at a read_only test.
>
> in my opinion writeable and readable should be in the interface instead
> of readonly. and both should be supported whatever it costs ... or we
> support none of this flags.

Except under NT there is both a "read-only" bit AND the possibility of
excluding write access via ACL's. As far as a predicate for removing files go
(eg) you would probably only want to test for the read-only bit. You can still
delete a file that is not writable under NT (you can deny Delete access
separately from Write access).

Dylan

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
- 1,000s of Bargains!