From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-01 13:27:31

From: "Giovanni Bajo" <giovannibajo_at_[hidden]>
> > I don't have access to Comeau C++ so I can't test how it behaves in its
> > various modes. I assumed that when _MSC_VER is defined, then the
compiler
> is
> > in MSVC compatibility mode.
>
> No, it means that it is using MSVC as the C backend, which is orthogonal
> the language understood by the compiler.

Hmm. Are you sure about that? I thought that Comeau defines _MSC_VER
when --microsoft is on, regardless of the backend.

> > Also, did you try to run Comeau in MSVC 7 mode? I'm fairly certain that
> void
> > returns work. The option was --microsoft-ver=1300 IIRC but I may be
wrong.

> I am not sure under which conditons I should try it, since the code
already
> works in default microsoft compatibility mode.

In "strict" mode. I suspect that by that you mean the --A mode (that still
compiles windows.h, for instance) and not --strict, which doesn't. If this
is the case, using --microsoft_version=1300 would #define _MSC_VER to 1300.

IOW just try to add --microsoft_version=1300 to your command line (if this
is the right option, of course; the online documentation is somewhat
unclear.)

If this doesn't help you can use a custom configuration file. You're right
that we can't patch comeau.hpp since there is apparently no way to detect
whether void returns are supported or not.