From: Kresimir Fresl (fresl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-08 03:41:58

Hi Joerg,

> We were working on the same problem ;-( and you solved it faster :-). I
> adopted your changes (slightly modified), tested with MSVC and ICC also and
> checked them in. Thanks.

You're welcome.

But I must admit that I dislike implementations of `norm_1()'
and `norm_inf()' in `math.h'. They are, of course, mathematically
correct, but aren't they unnecessarily inefficient for floats
and doubles? For large vectors and matrices there can be
thousands of useless additions of zeros and comparisons
of nonnegative numbers with zero. I doubt that optimizer,
even very smart ones, can eliminate them.

(BTW, what does comment `Oops, should have known that!'
mean?)

>>PS. I added `#include <algorithm>' and `#include <iterator>' to
>>`traits.h' because g++ complains that `std::max()' and iterator
>>tags are unknown.

Still missing (although now, with your definition of `norm_inf()',
`algorithm' should be included in `math.h' -- but I hope that
you will change that ;o).

(And AFAICS there is no need for inclusion of `exception.h'
in `math.h'.)

Sincerely,

fres