From: Javier Estrada (jestrada_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-09 17:09:09

After reading all the email, I'd like to summarize the aspects that need to
be balanced in such a proposal:

- Instancing
   a) Static (ala cin, cout, cerr, clog) ?
   a) Singleton ?
   b) "Multiton"?

- Thread safety
   a) Single-threaded ?
   b) Multi-thread ?
   c) Per-thread?

- Destination
   a) Single target
   b) Multiple Targets - What's better? Composition? using a design pattern,
like Decorator?

- Optional output information
  thread id, process name

- Formatting

- Severity (Levels)

- Reduce runtime impact--to zero if possible.

- Add your own

IMHO, a logging library for boost should follow the streams philosophy and
be based on streams.