From: Ernie Makris (ernie_makris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-11 08:24:01

Hi Andras,

My comments are inline.

>From: Andras Erdei <ccg_at_[hidden]>
>To: boost_at_[hidden]
>Subject: Re: [boost] Logging library - Organization of effort
>Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:37:04 +0300
>
>On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:59:38 -0400, "Ernie Makris"
><ernie_makris_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> >The question now is, how to proceed.
> >I think that people that said: "I have logging library X" should place
>the
> >code of the said library on the boost server. I've created a directory
>named
> >\logging-library.
>
>What's the deadline ? (I'm in the middle of writing one...)
None, I think it would be good for people to post their implementations if
they have them.

>If anyone want to comment (so i can incorporate ideas during
>the developemnt) my current design consists of three layers.
>
>1. The bottom layer contains the sinks (a base-class for
>user-defined sinks, and pre-implemented memory, file, tcp/ip
>and a platform-dependent interactive display).
>
>The first three sinks have no locking mechanism
>(i assume that each thread will use a separate
>logfile etc), but the last one exists in both
>thread-safe and thread-unsafe forms.
Do these sinks end up talking to a streambuf that knows how to append to
sinks? Just curious.

I think locking may be required at the streambuf level. But, I could see
locking also at the sink level, particularly if the sink will be shared
amongst multiple logs. If multiple logs in different threads write to the
same sink, you could have races and overlapped output unless the sink itself
is locked.