From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-18 23:43:48

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]>

> "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> 6.news.dfncis.de&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dandrei%2Bempty%2Bbase%26hl%
> 3D
> > en>
> >
> > I believe I was the one who brought it to his attention ;-)
>
> Yes, right in person! This pessimization is a big bummer. So now what
> are we to do, alter the design just to support older compilers, or
> waste space? There are arguments in favor of both...

Sometimes a library can be an effective tool of pressure on vendors, but
I think in this case you have to change the design. It's not just an
issue of old vs new compilers. In general, even the new compilers don't
implement the MI optimization. Vendors are simply *not* going to break
backwards-binary-compatibility just to make our smart pointers smaller,
and smart pointers simply *must* be small.

IMO, of course ;-)

-Dave