From: Trenton Tuggle (Tuggle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-23 10:51:34

Trenton Tuggle wrote:
> I was just thinking about Microsoft ClearType: it would be interesting
> to see the concept incorporated into a freely-available library. I have
> been highly impressed with some of the results I've seen, and it seems
> that using the technique on general antialiasing of graphics would yield
> results worth further investigation.

Of course, According to Microsoft, ClearType is patented. A quick
search revealed:

6,339,426: Methods, apparatus and data structures for overscaling or
oversampling character feature information in a system for rendering
text on horizontally striped displays

6,377,262: Rendering sub-pixel precision characters having widths
compatible with pixel precision characters

-Trenton Tuggle