From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-30 14:31:59

At 11:48 AM 4/30/2002, Peter Dimov wrote:

>From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
>> * Because user needs are so varied, Standard Library smart pointers
>> should support a full feature model, including user supplied behavior.
>
>I wonder how does this follow. If user needs are so varied, then there is
>nothing to standardize, and the standardization effort is better spent
>elsewhere.

The assumption was, I think, that a single policy-based smart pointer would
be able to cover a great deal of such a feature model.

Another point to bear in mind is that the status reports aren't like a
agreed upon communiqué from a meeting of heads of state. They are just one
person's view what was said, and that person was moderating the discussion,
trying to understand the discussion, take notes, and participate, all at
the same time.

But overall it is clear that LWG members are uncomfortable with the current
proposal, and are very interested in a policy-based approach.

--Beman