From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-30 17:18:28

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hawes" <Tim.Hawes_at_[hidden]>

> OK, I don't know what has happened to my environment, but I decided to
> install GNU ld so I could use the stable boost distro on Solaris

What do you consider "the stable boost distro"?
FWIW, I consider the current CVS to be in much better shape than 1.27

> (I am
> writing a "time-sensitive" project to replace a perl cgi script that
> eats system resources on a heavily loaded web server on Solaris). But
> now, when I compile boost with gcc-stlport, I get an endless slew of
> template with C linkage" messgaes and nothing gets compiled.

Which part of boost do you get this error for? Can you post a single
compilation command with one instance of the error (and any other prior
errors in the output). There were some bugs in the version of
Boost.Threads shipped with 1.27 having to do with "C" linkage, so if
this is a threads-related failure I suggest you get the latest CVS or
just compile the regex library from <boost-root>/libs/regex/build.

> I can get boost to compile w/o stlport, now, but the program I have
> written, for some reason, segfaults when I use std:: streams and works
> hunky-dory when I use _STL:: streams.

Do you mean that this happens when you use the GCC streams with STLPort?
This is not a recommended configuration for STLPort; it's a clever hack
that eventually breaks down if you push it too hard. If you mean that it
segfaults with GCC streams without STLPort, I have no comment - it might
be your code, or it could be libstdc++.

> I don't know if this is because
> of gcc's poor handling of streams, or stlport just being more gracious
> to the stupid programmer (me). If we were placing bets, I would put
> money on the latter.
>
> Once I get this out of the way, I know I have questions regarding the
> use of boost::regex library, as the prototype I have compiled on Linux
> is not doing what it is suppose to.

<snip humungous sequence of error messages>

Please try to limit the length of your posts. Overquoting is really
getting out-of-hand on the boost list.

Thanks,
Dave