From: Mattias Flodin (flodin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-20 02:07:58

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:14:06AM +0000, Robin wrote:
> I suspect the majority of people are using email to reply and
> therefore it does not contain the necessary tracking info to find it's
> parent article. Either that or some people are using "New post"
> instead of "Reply" to the article.

On the contrary, most email clients take care of this. The problem is
that some don't. The threading has been working most of the time, long
before newsgroup support came. But there's always the odd person using
some web mail interface or something or other. :)

> So, what can one do to get the articles to thread correctly?

The only remedy I can think of is strong encouragement to use a
threaded mail client (or, at least, one that does not remove thread
info when replying to mail), in the discussion policy page on
boost.org. But it would be a little too much imho to forbid certain
email clients.

Note: despite the "OT" in subject line, this is shifting to be
slightly on-topic (if indeed discussions regarding the website
appearance are considered a topic of this forum). Weren't we
discussing "top-posting" earlier? As I recall, something was going to
be added to the discussion policy page, but I can't find anything of
the kind there now.

--
Mattias Flodin <flodin_at_[hidden]>  -  http://www.cs.umu.se/~flodin/
Room NADV 102