From: Giovanni Bajo (giovannibajo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-04 09:43:56

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] Exception handling - reprise

> Do you need weak_ptr? shared to weak conversions rely on exceptions.

I'm not using it right now, but I think it would be handy if the whole
library was modified to work without exceptions, in case someone needs it in
the future. I suppose there is a way to make it work without exceptions and
without modifying too much code, isn't there? Isn't the explicit check
counter==0 enough to handle the situation?

> Also, what is supposed to happen when the allocation of the reference
count fails?

That's more a design choice. In my opinion, every critical situation like
this could be converted into a run-time assertion.

Giovanni Bajo