From: joel de guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-06 21:41:58

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Curran/MVP" :

> However, this does point to a rather interesting dichotomy in our
> operations here...
>
> With compilers, we write to the most modern standard, begrudgingly
> support old compilers, and consider those to insist on using such old
> compilers as holding back progress.
>
> With email, we write to the oldest standard, scorn features supported by
> more modern email package, and consider those who use those features as
> troublemakers... ;-)

I feel the same when writing source code :-)

I guess part of the reason is that HTML email is not standard and
does not even adhere to strict W3C conformance. Each email
client has its own quirks added into the kludged up HTML language
and we're never sure if what Mr. A sends will be rendered faithfully
by an email client apart from what he uses. Unless of course we
all agree to use just one client application :-)

--Joel