From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-12 13:57:13

----- Original Message -----
From: <scleary_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:21 PM
Subject: [boost] Stack tracing (was: improved assertions?)

> > From: Schalk_Cronje_at_[hidden] [mailto:Schalk_Cronje_at_[hidden]]
> >
> > > I'd like to have assertions that include a stack traceback. Is it
> > > possible to do this portably? Does such a lib already exist?
> >
> > One has to do a per platform implementation. Linux uses backtrace() and
> > backtrace_symbols(). Solaris uses getcontext() and dladdr(). I think for
> > Win32 one has to use StackWalk, but since I have never done a Win32
> > stacktrace implementation I know no more.
>
> I've worked with Win32 stack traces with the Borland compiler. StackWalk
> works fine; it's getting the symbol names that's complicated.
>
> There are some symbol helper APIs (e.g., dbghelp.dll), but they only
support
> VC++. I've got an alternative solution specifically for Borland that uses
> map files, similar to Jani Kajala's for VC++.
>
> -Steve

A bit selfish of me, but being a Borland user, I'm **really** interested
now!!!

FWIW, Ted Byers is working on this for BCB too, as you can see on the
borland forums.

He said he's prototype is available at:

http://www.hschober.de/code/

I think it's worth taking a look there.

(I'll post a message on the borland forum to see if Ted can attend here)

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]
www.gosierra.com