From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-14 21:51:05

On Friday 14 June 2002 10:33, Phil Nash wrote:
> Has there been any progress on your library since April?

Unfortunately, I have made real progress: All I did since then was to
tweak some stuff while making it compile with other standard C++
libraries (mostly my own implementation). From a functionality point of
view the latest version is the one I made available in the files section.

> I for one would be very interested in it - and I know others would.

Unless you need fancy DTD stuff you can actually use it: It should
work just fine. My only trouble was in the area of this good-for-nothing
DTD parsing, in particular with the nasty lot of exceptions to the rule.
Even DTD parsing is probably just fine - except if you have errors in
your DTD in which case these may go undetected.

> I have just written a wrapper for the xerces library to std c++-size it
> (and give it iterators).

I think that xerces could be used as an implementation underneath the
iterator interface I'm envisioning: the SAX parsers apparently have
functions which parse the next item. These functions are used between
the callback calls to do the actual parsing. I haven't looked into this in
detail, however: I just found functions like this when I looked through
other XML implementations.

> I might even be persuaded to shared the workload of your effort...

This would be great! However, I have to admit that the code is rather
messy which I claim is due to the fact that XML, in particular XML's
DTD, is messy (raw XML is pretty simple). Since I'm actually using my
XML parser in an internal project and since there seems to be some
interest in the approach I should really bring this stuff into a clean state.

--
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_[hidden]> <http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>
Phaidros eaSE - Easy Software Engineering: <http://www.phaidros.com/>