From: Dirk Gerrits (dirkg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-18 13:30:17

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> Dirk Gerrits wrote:
>
>>Ah yes. But we can't really expect iterator_adaptor users to use
>>BOOST_BROKEN_COMPILER_TYPE_TRAITS_SPECIALIZATION can we?
>

> It's better than nothing, IMO :). And it's better than explicitly
> specializing iterator_traits (writing
> BOOST_BROKEN_COMPILER_TYPE_TRAITS_SPECIALIZATION(my) potentially "enables"
> more libraries than writing template<> struct iterator_traits<my*> { /* ...
> */ }; )

Good point!

But I guess it's up to the authors whether this will be included right?
The most important issue, IMHO, is not breaking peoples existing code.
As Dave pointed out to me, it's perfectly valid to specialize
std::iterator_traits for your own pointer types. And since there is no
is_specialized member to detect this, the workaround will break code
using home-made iterator_traits specializations for pointers.

Dirk