From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-25 22:51:19

"Paul A. Bristow" <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> "This should also explain the need for the /Zm option. The compiler
> needs to ensure it has a contiguous address space for the heap we
> create the PCH from.
>
> Jason Shirk, VC++ Compiler Team"
>
> from
> > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1156165
>
> I turned off pre-compiled headers for my compilations, just in case.
> This may explain the different requirements, but not my confusion?
> Perhaps it is to do with getting the compiler re-started so it finds
> the contiguous space?
>
> (It fails C1060 immediately without appearing to do anything, whereas
> on the first try, it takes some seconds before failing).

When it fails immediately, the compiler is trying to reserve more memory
than the system allows. This depends on which version of the compiler
you have, how much physical memory you've got, and if you've tweaked the
size of the pagefile.

When if fails after running awhile, an internal heap is exceeding it's
predetermined limit.

With our upcoming release, this option will rarely be necessary. It
will never be necessary if you aren't creating a PCH, and it will only
be necessary if your PCH is > ~50MB (and I'd rethink your build if your
PCH is that big.)

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team