From: Joel de Guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-01 04:50:43

Benedikt Weber wrote:

>This expression template business is quite exciting, especially for me being
>exposed to it for the first time. I went through the introduction by Todd
>Veldhuizen and tried a few things to better understand. My vision for a
>matrix library is still that expression templates could take care of the
>above optimization transparently to the user, and that they could also do
>blocked operations. However, I see that this no easy task and I have to
>study the subject for some time to see all the problems involved, especially
>when combined with different matrix classes and iterators.

ET programming is cool! BTW, in addition to the definitive Todd stuff,
this article: Disambiguated Glommable Expression Templates Reintroduced
by Geoffrey Furnish [C++ Report] is also a gem (IMHO).

http://www.adtmag.com/joop/crarticle.asp?ID=627

This inspired Spirit a lot. Well, of course Spirit is not about matrices
but... ummm, you know what I mean :-)

--Joel