From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-01 14:00:38

I want to start by apologizing for not giving the time and thoroughness it
deserves to my review of uBlas. I hope that the other commentary I've made
during the review period helps to make up for that.

I think this is an important contribution for Boost and the community. I
agree with most of Matthias' comments below, with one important difference:
I think we should accept the library, provided that the authors intend to
continue energetic work on it. C++ numerics libraries have come and gone...
but mostly they're dead because the authors have not maintained them. As an
accepted Boost library, uBlas would receive the users and public attention
that such a project requires to keep it moving. However, I also want to
stress that there's still a lot of work to do. Numerics users are an
uncompromising bunch, requiring both expressivity and maximal efficiency.
Matthias' list goes to the heart of the matter. Fortunately, most of these
problems have been solved by other C++ numerics libraries, and I urge the
uBlas authors to capitalize on the work of those who have come before. Also
I agree with another poster that the documentation needs work, and that
this will be crucial to acquiring the momentum and user-base this project
needs.

-Dave

From: "Matthias Troyer" <troyer_at_[hidden]>

> Dear Boosters,
>
> I would like to add my comments to the ublas review.
>
> First of all I found the ublas authors very quick in responding
> to questions, eager to explain things and receptive to new ideas.
> This is an important consideration for such a complex package.
>
> Next, I strongly support a Boost matrix library, having seen the
> need for one in my own research all too often.
>
> As far as ublas is concerned I want to raise the following issues,
> that apply to what I expect of a Boost matrix library and where
> ublas might need to be improved, either before acceptance or
> shortly thereafter:
>
> 1.) I would prefer to be able to write a matrix-vector product
> as M*v, without the need to use the prod(M,v) function.

I'm very confused. Is prod() really neccessary?!