From: Herve Bronnimann (hbr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-22 10:08:25

Dear wizard:

I'd like to request a formal review of the interval arithmetic library
(interval library for short). The library has been sitting in the Files
for more than atwo years, authored by Jens Maurer. We've worked on
finishing it to pass the review, and while the work is still in
progress we're nearing completion. I'd like to request a formal review
in the second half of August (as we will all be away at various periods
before). There are three people involved in this submission:
  * myself, hbr_at_[hidden]
  * Sylvain Pion, sylvain.pion_at_[hidden]
  * Guillaume Melquiond, gmelquio_at_[hidden]

We will post and announce the uploading of the current library in the
boost files, currently we are working out of the sandbox (but be aware
that the sandbox is still a moving target).

Just a bit of background for those who'd wonder: Interval arithmetic is
a way to encode imprecision by representing numbers as intervals, and
performing the operations while preserving the inclusion property: the
result of an operation on intervals contains all possible results of the
same operation on any numbers in the respective input intervals. (Using
rounding modes of the processor, the rsulting interval is as tight as
can possibly be for all arithmetic operations.)

Thanks,

--
Hervé