From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-30 09:20:55

From: "Jeremy Siek" <jsiek_at_[hidden]>

> The documentation is not yet complete in that regard, though it is on my
> to-do list. Here's the current situation:
>
> - In dynamic_bitset functions where an exception is thrown, the
> documentation says so.
> - In functions that do not have a throw statement, the documentation
> says nothing.

That's backwards from the way we normally document exceptions:

    - A blanket statement says that unless otherwise specified, functions
may throw
    - Functions that don't throw, or may throw only under restricted
circumstances are specifically documented.

I'm out of time to go into it in more detail, but there are good reasons
for taking the above approach, as we did in the standard library. Figuring
out how to specify this stuff was the big challenge Greg Colvin and I had
in getting exception-safety in the standard (aside from political
challenges, of course). I suggest you draw on our experience.

I believe we have the blanket statement somewhere at boost already.

-Dave

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting