From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-08 10:04:49

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Peakall" <dale.peakall_at_[hidden]>

> My thread-usage generally involve long-lived threads that are only joined
as
> part of tidy system shutdown and as I've stated I want my application to
> terminate on uncaught exceptions in the thread as they always indicate an
> error. Perhaps those of us who want this behaviour should use catch(...)
and
> call terminate.

I still think the terminate() approach is the more logical implementation.
As I pointed out, async function calls are a different beast from threads,
and often they are performed across process boundaries and possibly on a
remote computer. This is a higher level concept than a thread. You can
build this higher level concept using threads simply by employing the
catch(...) solution.

I don't have a problem with providing this sort of functionality in
Boost.Threads, I just don't think it's appropriate to be the behavior of
boost::thread.

Bill Kempf