From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 08:17:15

"Thomas Witt" <witt_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> In "File and directory recommendations" the rationale given for "Do not
assume
> names are case sensitive." is wrong. I agree that there are case
insensitive
> filesystems (FAT32 IIRC) but not all Windows fs are case insensitive. NTFS
> for instance is in fact case sensitive, Windows just tries to hide this.

Actually, all modern Windows files systems are case insensitive (in name
mathcing) but case preserving (in the persisted names). NTFS can optionally
be case sensitive, depending on whether the requesting process is running
under the POSIX subsystem or not. (i.e. Windows isn't subverting a
case-sensitive FS to make it appear insensitive - the filesystem driver
implements both modes at the lowest level).

-cd